Thursday, March 10, 2011

Serendipity

Lately my house has had a very distinct odor about it. Let me give you a hint. This odor is usually accompanied with one or more of the following: taken away toys, an "i'm sorry", tears, lies, laundry, laundry, laundry, mad dad, frustrated mom, and always a pair of pants with a big wet spot on the front. And no, we are not potty training Astoria. It's the other one. The already potty trained one that's causing us grief.


Of course like any rational mother, I start blaming myself, assuming that i'm doing something to make her rebel. I assume that there is something 'wrong' with us and that i'm a bad mother because I can't keep my four-year old dry. The saddest part about it? She lost Lego Harry Potter because of it (because a good percentage of her accidents were while playing said game) This is almost just as sad for me as it is for her. We just unlocked the Accio spell! Come ON! Oh well. She asked if we could watch the first Harry Potter movie together last night, which was so very magical. She kept comparing it to the game. "Hey, what?! I thought that Draco Maff-loy threw cake at Her-my-mee!"

but back to the point...

In the midst of beating myself up over all this, the universe takes a hand. teamBoo, out of the blue, posts a little something that reminds me, Hey, i'm not alone in this. I'm not a terrible mother, or a terrible human being just because my four-year old has bladder control issues. 

 Here is little excerpt from teamBoo:

I peed my pants well into my 20's. As a kid, my sisters would hold me down and make me laugh until i peed (it didn't take much). Once, when i was pregnant with Elyott, I had to change my pants 7 times during one particularly hilarious game night. SEVEN times. I was 19. I thought it's what every little giggly girl did, until I grew up and very few of my friends could relate to my pants wetting confession. It isn't my most proud feature, but there it is (for the record i haven't in like 5 years ;)

My daughter Elyott can relate to this. like 100%. 


And it is ultra disgusting when i go to check if her clothes are clean or dirty and i (without fail) take WAY too big of a whiff (when just a little sniff would've sufficed)...and then my face melts off. And then i think, "uhhh! when is she gonna grow out of this!?" and then the little cricket that lives in my clock reminds me of my first sentence of this blog post (damn.)
Then sometimes I stress about Elyott seeming "so big" already at the ripe age old age of 8. Like how most of her conversations have a varied but certain degree of precociousness (i'm sure every mother kinds feels this way about their kid) but more specifically lacking that awesome preschool aged janky vocabulary set. Most of the time she is usually pretty spot on when she is figuring something out, and I start to long for the days when she said and did really awesome and ridiculous things like: pulled her halter top shirts down below her nipples cause she thought it looked "fancy" or sang the lyrics "popcorn popping on the 'rake-a-dot' tree!" (instead of "apricot") or when she was a baby and we'd say "i love you" and she'd say a very efficient "too"...OR when she laid her clothes out for school to look like this.

I'm glad I can always rely on the Boo-ster for reminders that we are not alone in this crazy motherhood business.

In this totally secluded little world I've created for myself (remember?) I frequently forget how common things like wet pants, trips to the hospital for strange things put in the ears/nose/whatever, and being totally overwhelmed on a daily basis, really is.

And please, if you've had similar issues? Please please let me know. Especially if you have any little golden nuggets of wisdom to share.

1 comment:

  1. Remember Elliot is 4, mine is EIGHT! Now she just lets it leak until the very last millisecond before she loses it all which is still obnoxious. But there are worse things, right? For us the threats didn't work. The getting in trouble didn't work. The embarrassment was ineffective (she'd pee in school and come home in some high water spiderman sweatpants and not even give it a second thought)

    Give her some incentives as a goal (rather than the drama of a punishment) (i.e. "if you keep your pants dry until lunchtime, we can play your favorite game" or "if you keep them dry all day we will buy you...a pony!!!") The best motivators are the ones they can feel proud of.

    Hang in there...if nothing else just teach her how to do the laundry ;)

    ReplyDelete

Show some love