Monday, January 10, 2011

The Other Resolution

Every once in a while a girl just has to write a post where she whines like an "I'm-going-to-totally-die-if-I-don't-get-asked-to-prom" high school junior. This is that post. I'm going to try and restrict myself to less than 3 a year.

In addition to the list of resolutions I made last week, there is one additional one that I feel like adding to the list.

  • Make some friends.
 Okaaay. I know I know, I have friends. At least Facebook seems to think so. Maybe I should change this a little:
  • Make some friends
  • Make time to be a friend
 I am completely aware that there are different seasons in life, and I'm currently in the "youngish-mommy-who-is-crazy-busy-and-has-a crazy-busy-husband-and-crazy-kids-but-no-money" season, not so much the "insanely-popular-at-dance-parties-and-enjoy-life" season, or even the "my-kids-are-in-school-and-my-spouse-has-a-good-job-and-I'm-going-out-for-lunch" season. But that doesn't necessarily mean that because I'm in the young(ish) mommy season that I have to be so lonely all the time, does it? But here's the kicker. It turns out that in order to have friends, I actually have to make some effort. Bleh. Meaning I might actually have to call someone on the phone. And even more terrifying, make some kind of plans to actually hang out with that person. The very thought of that makes me want to crawl into a closet and rock back and forth, hugging my knees.


I've lived in the same neighborhood for about 3 1/2 years. wanna know how many times my kids have played with other kids in the neighborhood? Probably never. And it's my own fault. You'd think after that long I could become friendly enough with someone that we could at least exchange play dates or something. But no. I stay in my safe little house and my safe little backyard. And I have no idea why. I used to be friendly... really. What happened to me?

Maybe I'm just being silly. My kids are wonderful, and I enjoy spending time with them. Teaching Zumba is great, and I love having a little time to do something I enjoy so much around some really fantastic women (even if the only talking involved is me screaming "Add the arms! Now, Turn to the left!". )

Shouldn't that be enough?

It should be. It really should be.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, you need friends to hang out with that are close by. I have three in Cedar that I would recommend playing with. :)
    And yes, it's hard to get out of that bubble. I have a lot of friends here in town, but it's so much easier to just hang around here and wait for Zach to come home. BUT, I'm always happier when I've visited with a friend throughout the day. Especially when Zach comes home exhausted and doesn't exactly feel like chatting. Friends are a good thing. Buck up and make the call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes I think I'm such a good friend because I help people move or pick up people from the airport, but I think it's just as important to do normal, fun things as well. And instead of waiting for people to call me, I need to be more proactive too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Slow Down, your moving to fast.
    You gotta make the morning last!
    .....(looking for fun and to feel groovy?)"

    Don't be in a hurry to leave Zumba classes. listen and you will be overwhelmed with friends.

    "Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
    Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

    Wouldn't you like to get away?

    Sometimes you want to go

    Where everybody knows your name,
    and they're always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see,
    our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows
    Your name."
    -Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, are we related? I hate, no I LOATHE calling people on the phone. I love getting together with my friends, but unless they are the ones to initiate it (meaning they call me), then it doesn't happen. I need to work on it. P.S. did Roger have one too many?;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't believe this! you are so adorable and funny. When i don't feel like making some big thought out play/friend date (that often gets cancelled...cause stuff happens) I just invite someone over to do something simple like figure out how to make jelly together (even if it turns out disgusting cause neither of you know what the crap your doing) or offer to do a house project with someone (paint their kitchen). It sounds lame but often times, with the kids occupying each other and a little adult convo, it's just what i need :)

    ReplyDelete

Show some love