Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I ain't no hater... mostly

I have a complicated relationship with Christmas music (and Christmas in general to be completely honest, but that's a post for another day). Surprisingly, I am not the kind of girl that keeps the dial glued to lite FM 100 from the day after Thanksgiving on. No I'm more the type that seriously contemplates tearing off my own ears and flinging them on the first 8 bars of "Last Christmas" (I don't care if it's Wham!. It still makes me want to punch kittens).

Other songs on the ear-flinging list?
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time (sorry Katie)
Baby, it's Cold Outside (also known as "Christmas Date Rape! Yay!")
The Harry Connick Jr. version of Most Wonderful Time of the Year. Blech.

Did that sound like a bah humbug? Sorry.

However, I do not hate Christmas music. I just hate sucky Christmas music. There's tons that I really love. Call me a sappy sentimentalist, but I'm into the pretty stuff. I could listen to Sufjan Stevens for hours. The Carpenters, and classic ones like "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" or "The Christmas Song" are great. I'm all about chestnuts roasting. But the hymns, and pretty instrumental ones are the best. Bring a Torch, Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming, and O Come O Come Emmanuel, and anything that is lovely.






This one. OH yes.
Just close your eyes and listen to it. The video doesn't really add anything to it.

See? I'm not a total scrooge. I just have standards.

I also like The Matches, December is for Cynics... but that has really nothing to do with Christmas. AND it's the Matches, so it doesn't count.

So what are your most favorite, or most hated Christmas tunes?


Did you enter the December Book giveaway yet? Do it! Nowish! You have till Friday, kids.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you! Amen! The laws of musical taste don't just die at Christmas. That video was lovely, by the way. I just got home from work where FM 100 had been playing for about ten million hours. My brain was about to crawl out my ear. Celtic woman saved me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea Van HazelenDecember 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM

    I was worried about you at first but by the end you redeemed yourself. Christmas music is wonderful and Sufyan is amazing. The one I can't stand it The Christmas Shoes. GAG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, and it makes me love you even more. Also, that song is awesome. It also happens to be mine and my sister's Christmas song. Which means I have a special place in my heart for it anyway, but what a lovely rendition. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom is solidly within FM 100's demographic. It's too bad 101.9 The End died because they played more alternative Christmas music and only intermittently.

    "O Holy Night" is my most favorite Christmas tune; it doesn't matter who sings it. I also love "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" especially as sung by Ms. Tori Amos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a theory that those who don't believe in Christ or don't love him, can't sing or write Christmas music well. Worst, Neil Diamond, The Beatles, and Barbara Streisand. The best, Handel, Tab Choir, Little Town of Bethlehem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, snob. But that's ok because I love you and I get you. (Zach is a Christmas music snob as well) And I hope we can still be friends even though we're on opposite ends of the Christmas music spectrum. I tend to like all versions of This Christmas. But I'm not saying everyone should.
    And do I redeem myself by alternating between Christmas music and getting myself acquainted with fun.? (I'm in love. again. seriously. deeply.)
    Zach actually went on a mission the other night to find the best version of O Holy Night. This is the one that won. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am one of those people who has the cable music channel on 24/7. but there are definitely horrible, horrible songs. but to me, they're still kind of fun in their horribleness. i kind of look forward to the first time i hear "christmas shoes" and "grandma got ran over by a reindeer" every year. it's just part of "it all".

    i hate all the songs you mentioned and i love all the songs you mentioned. the carpenters are the best.

    i also hate silly songs sung seriously. like "the twelve days of christmas" sung by frank sinatra or something. (don't get me wrong, i love frank, but those kind of songs are best suited for the muppets or something.)

    i also hate r&b christmas songs. shiver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth". I also hate that EVERY SINGLE singer things they need to put out a Christmas album! I also hate "Baby it's Cold Outside" (hahaha, Christmas date rape), however, I like it in "Elf" when the girl is singing it in the shower, and Buddy joins in. I'm interested in Roger's theory. Love the MoTab album "Noel".

    ReplyDelete

Show some love