Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Trying to Explain

Have you ever been listening to a song, and just wanted to explode because it was so amazing?


And then you tried to tell someone about it and your best description sounded flat and boring and maybe even a little cliche.Even worse is when you hear (or read) someone talking about a song that is amazing to them, and it sounds like they are either A) exaggerating or B) crazy. Half the time you yourself have heard that same song and found nothing particularly amazing about it.


So I don't really feel comfortable getting on here and telling you about all the amazing music I've been listening to lately, as much as I would really REALLY like to. Maybe it's just because music has such a unique, and often deeply personal impact on a person. There is no way to convince someone to feel EXACTLY the same way you feel. And don't even get me started on headphones. I ADORE headphones.


But there is nothing in the world like listening to something that makes you tingle, makes your chest feel heavy and full, makes you want to run a race or do a cartwheel, makes you want to stand up and shout and sing and flip your hair around.

Don't get me wrong, I love words. I love language. But there is something completely untouchable about a song that just makes you go crazy inside (a fantastic kind of crazy).

And hard as I try, I can't make the words even come close.



But just in case you wanted to know? Here is what i've been listening to:

Angels & Airwaves - LOVE (headphones are recommended for these guys)
Owl City - Ocean Eyes
Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity and Bleed American
The Matches - everything they ever wrote.
fun. - Aim and Ignite
Something Corporate - Leaving through the Window

and the song "Summer in the City" by Regina Spektor.


Now go!

2 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten all about Something Corporate. And Motion City Soundtrack.

    I feel this way about books. I hate telling people about a book that I found desperately moving. I can never say "Its about a little boy whose dad died in 911," because its ruined immediately. IMMEDIATELY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it, I do. I love music and I love to dance (especially when nobody's looking), but there is not much music that really, truly, Deeply moves me...except...the soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans - every time (especially in the dark with my eyes closed so I can really concentrate on it).

    ReplyDelete

Show some love