Monday, April 5, 2010

The Nicest Thing

My amazing little sister spend the weekend at my house. And when I say amazing, I'm completely serious. My girls absolutely adore her, and she is wonderful with them. Like unbelievably patient and willing to play, and a hundred times more fun than mom. So it's a super exiting time when Aunt Ra-Ra (Laura) comes to play.
On Saturday, I decided to be super brave and take my sister and all three girls out to breakfast. I say brave because, have you ever tried to take a three-year old to a restaurant? Let alone a three-year old, a two-year old AND an infant. Well, we had the traditional talk before we left about what it means to be on your "Best Behavior" and honestly? they were pretty great. They ate their pancakes and eggs without running around, dumping out all the sugar packets, or throwing salt shakers. It was a very proud mom moment.

But the story doesn't end there.
During our meal there was a couple sitting across from us who was the happy recipient of all of Rousseau's little smiles during the meal. As we were getting up to leave, the husband stood up and said "let me get that for you" I smiled thinking he was going to help me hoist the car seat out of the booth. Instead he grabbed the check off the table. I was totally stunned. Stuff like this doesn't happen to me. I protested of course, (but not too hard really) and gave him a big hug and thanked him profusely.
Who does things like that? Seriously!

I am absolutely determined to repay the favor by doing something nice for some complete stranger. I don't think you have to be a wealthy person to make a difference in someone's day, or their life for that matter. I mean, a breakfast for two toddlers who shared a meal and me and my little sister wasn't terribly expensive, but it was still one of the nicest things that has ever happened to me.

Now, I don't often wax religious, especially in a place as public as this. But I do feel the need to point out the incredible love and Christlike attitude these people had. This weekend was an awesome Easter/General Conference double-whammy. There were things said that I really needed to hear, and I'm glad I made the effort to listen.

So in the spirit of springtime (which should be around here... somewhere) Why don't you go do something nice for a stranger today? (I will too)

3 comments:

  1. This made me smile. What a wonderful thing for someone to do. And it made me even happier that you blogged about it/were inspired to do something randomly nice for someone else. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were standing in a gas station in Nephi once, and a wealthy looking stranger offered to pay for the treats we were getting. Zach said "Oh, that's not necessary" and the guy said "It's ok. I live an unnecessary life." It made us happy. And since then Zach has tried to do the same thing for someone in a gas station, but the guy ended up being totally creeped out and thought Zach was coming onto him. Oh well. We still laugh about it. But you're story motivated me. I took some lunches to my pregnant friend's kids. She's so sick she can't even open the fridge. I guess it wasn't doing something nice for a stranger, but hopefully it still counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On hearing your story I over tipped a pregnant waitress. Not much but big for me.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love