Thursday, May 27, 2010

LOVE and LOST

First of all, please don't get offended by any of my comments? It may sound like a personal attack... but it's not. I'm just super opinionated.

without further ado...

1. I've recently had an overwhelming urge to write spacey Arthur C. Clarke or Ray Bradbury style sci-fi. Little short stories involving spacemen with rocket packs, and Mars colonies, and robots, and laser guns.

2. Elliot has started saying really, uh, interesting prayers. Last night she wanted to make sure that we remembered to not feed Rousseau pizza.

3. Two super nerdy things that I got excited about yesterday: Learning how to fill multiple cells with the same text at once in Excel, and the use of commas in relation to subordinate clauses. (I looked the latter up on OWL at Purdue because I was just curious. Who get's curious about grammar? I AM a nerd.)

4. Ok, so I realize that I'm kind of lazy. Therefore my new goal is going to be something along the lines of selecting only ONE lazy activity per day. Work on the Astoria blanket, read a book, or watch a TV show, but no more of all three in one day. I mean, come on.

5. This Saturday is the Zumba workshop. I keep having these horrible dreams where I see myself being dragged out by the shirt and tossed into the parking lot for being any number of the following: uncoordinated, lame, uncreative, not skinny enough to teach Zumba, ugly shoes...

6. I really should stop eating chocolate for breakfast.

7. Is there some kind of Murphy's law that states "The more tired you are, the less sleep you will be entitled to"?

8. So I used to always think it was SO funny when people would say things about kids growing too fast or whatever.Had these people just skipped all the amazing stages of toddler-hood? You know, the smashing peanut butter sandwiches into the carpet, the hair pulling, the FUSSING... That being said? Can someone please tell Rousseau that she needs to STOP getting big so fast? Where did my tiny little baby go?

Ok, the last two are rather intense. Just a heads up.


9. LOST. I LOVED IT. Here's why: The LOST creators/writers are smart people, and created the show with the expectation that their audience is as well. For the most part I believe this is true, but if I have to hear (or read on Facebook) one more hater saying how they just wasted the last 6 years on a show I'm going to punch that person in their stupid head. First of all, LOST was always a show thats intent was to make the viewer think and to promote discussion and debate. Are there really people out there that thought the show was going to spoon feed the viewers an ending that answered EVERY question? Have they not figured out by now that the whole point of LOST was to get people to use their brains a little bit? Granted, I felt like I had a step up on the casual viewer, because I took the time to look into the Easter Eggs that were left along the way. The ending to me was really no surprise after having been exposed to texts such as An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, Slaughterhouse Five, and Stephen King's The Dark Tower. I, for one, am incredibly grateful for ANY opportunity to use critical thinking skills and use then on a well crafted piece of media, whether it be film, television, graphic novel, art, or a book. But then again, I also think about papers I could write on childhood literacy and its relationship to adult income while blow-drying my hair, and thought it was a good idea to immerse myself into the second nerdy-est college degree out there. If you were looking for a mindless junk food TV show to aid in accelerating brain damage, go watch some procedural, or worse, reality shows.

Wow. that was WAY more negative than I had originally intended.

My real feelings on the ending? I love that they made it all about the characters, their connections to each other, and the choices they made. The plot elements in the show (all the mysteries) I really felt were mainly there as facilitators for the characters to grow. Especially with Jack. I would love to talk about it more, so if you're in the mood for some delightful discussion and debate, call me.

Last of all

10. I have been to a lot of concerts. Trust me.

A LOT.

This may have been the best one.


And that is saying a lot.

Any praise I could give this event would just come out sounding trite and lacking. I don't have a camera other than the one on my phone, which usually really sucks, but at least the pictures I got from the show have a nice impressionistic feel to them, which is probably the best way to describe it anyway. There was this amazingly positive energy that was there and an overwhelming sense of love and connection. And for the record? Tom DeLonge is kind of a nerd. Awesome.



Red


Blue



Purple


Orange


LOVE.

4 comments:

  1. LOST - I couldn't agree more. The show was EPIC, and the finale was PERFECT. The second that the finale was over, we wanted to start all over again, and we downloaded the first season from i-tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7 I concur all the way.

    And I too loved LOST. I cried a ton! (see my blog about it)
    I didn't hunt through all the easter eggs in it but I am excited to rediscover it all and watch it again and again and again.

    And I loved in general. LOST. Awesome. I can't wait for another show that is this intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is making a blanket really that lazy? Because I see it as rather productive. What if you made it while watching TV or listening to an audio book--or is the sewing machine too loud?

    I am one the few people left who never got into LOST. Why is it in all-caps?

    I recently attended two awesome concerts. which practically doubled my concert-going experience. Yeah, I've only been to like six.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are SO into Lost! I love it -- can't believe I didn't know its awesomeness until now. I'm happy to know about the spoon-feeding perspective and that you loved the ending. Can't wait to see how it ends!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love