Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Summer Reading

18 books. 18 weeks.



I'm not in school anymore, so a summer reading list might not make a ton of sense, however I do like goals, and I do like lists. So I'm giving myself till Aug 30 (Elliot's first day of Preschool). In the spirit of diversity, I put a few books on my list that I wouldn't normally pick up. I tend to gravitate towards YA, and anything fantastical, so for me Vonnegut and Cormac McCarthy are a big deal. If you're into this, make your own summer reading list, and I'll link it here!

Here are my books. (green = currently reading) (red = finito!)

1. Something Wicked this way Comes - Ray Bradbury
2. The Magicians - Lev Grossman
3. The Alchemist - Paulo Coehlo (Greenslake ward book group May book)
4. The Mysterious Benedict Society - Trenton Lee Stewart
5. Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
6. When you are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris
7. The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom (Greenslake ward book group June book)
8. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
9. The Princess Bride - William Goldman
10. A Passage to India - E.M. Forrester
11. Scott Pilgrim (the full series) - Brian Lee O'Malley
12. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
13. Rift - Todd Petersen
14. A Study in Scarlet - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
15. And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
16. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
17. The Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
18. Blankets - Craig Thompson

Also, I'll admit that probably half of these will be audio books. So what of it? You wanna fight about it? Anyway, It makes things like doing dishes, working on the Elliot/Astoria/Rousseau quilts, and long drives infinitely more interesting.

~Maryposa

***


So I have found myself in a new and weird spot in my life. No school. Leave it to me to be done with school . . . and then create a summer reading list. Anyway. Here are the books, in this particular order that I think I will tackle. None are re-reads (I don't think) and I am open to suggestions as replacements if there are a few that may not be as good as I hope.

1. 1984 - George Orwell
2. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
3. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
4. Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
5. Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Salmon Rushdie
6. Fear and Trembling - Søren Kierkegaard
7. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
9. The Lord of the Rings (The Fellowship of the Ring) - J.R.R. Tolkien
10. Winnie the Pooh - A.A. Milne
11. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
12. Dune - Frank Herbert
13. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Bryan Lee O'Malley
14. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim - David Sedaris
15. Y: The Last Man - Brian K. Vaughan
16. Ulysses - James Joyce

Yes I know that some of these may come across to some of you as pretentious or otherwise but I spent a long time being pretty one tracked on my reading and I reserve the right to read a pretentious or especially bad book.

~Blair

9 comments:

  1. Lovely list. I was going to wait a while before formally making my summer list, but maybe I'll start now. The Magicians is also on my list. Good luck with Blood Meridian--I've heard it's his masterpiece, but also one of the most violent books around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cormack McCarthy is tough. My sister's boyfriend wrote his thesis on Blood Meridian. He also happens to be the most brilliant person I know.

    I have so many of these books on my shelf I think I'm gonna need a similar list.

    My sister is doing a similar project, but 45 books. You'd like her blog: http://sissyjupe.blogspot.com (sissy jupe is from Oliver Twist)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh...I had written some thing fun and long and then blogger signed me into the wrong gmail account...I'll attempt a re-write

    I'm happy to claim I suggested The Magicians to you and Gregory. Also, Slaughterhouse Five is one of my favorite Vonnegut's. It was my introduction to him and true, fully post-modern lit.

    What a fun list! I love playing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, a summer list is a great idea! I have some list of the 100 greatest novels and I've been making my way through it (kinda/sorta) for about a year now. I should follow your example and get on it! haha
    You are so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I love the pictures - you are such a good friend spelling my name correctly and with a space! Love you! I'm so excited for when we can all compare our lists!

    Do you think after we're done we could all do some kind of on-line book club so that we can stay in literary contact?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So here's my comment....again:) I also was wondering if you are on Goodreads, because I would be interested in reading your reviews of these books when you're done with them. I've only read 3 of the books on your list. I've read more on your husband's list. Here was my review on Goodreads for Slaughterhouse Five(which I read only a couple of months ago):

    "So it goes". I appreciated the repetition of this phrase, and I hated it - that's also how I felt about this book. I liked the writing style he used. It wass somehow fractured and cohesive at the same time. His fatalistic outlook on life, brought on by his experiences with war, was intriguing....but sad, and pathetic. I hated the way this book made me feel - It was like being in a room with a perverted old man, who was trying to tell me something that may or may not have been important, but it was hard to listen because I was just so uncomfortable being near him. Then I look at the picture of the author on the back of the book, and I laugh, because he LOOKS like a perverted old man!:)

    I'm curious about Blood Meridian. I was surprised that Oprah chose it as one of her books - is that why you chose it? Anyway, I don't know if I would read that book, but The Road is already in my long to-read list.

    Good luck with your list this summer. I'll send you mine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started a goodreads account, so we can share reviews and such. And the answer, so you know, is 42.

    I picked Blood Meridian mainly because Blair was talking about wanting to read it, so I thought I would too. We'll see how it goes. I may have to chase it with the complete works of Mo Willems. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great lists! Oh dear, I ought to be reading something besides, um, Agatha Christies that I've already read. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love