Tuesday, May 31, 2011

For the times, they are a-changin'

In 2 months my professional title will change from working-mom, to just mom.


But let me back up a little bit.



The coach is celebrating adulthood this summer. Last week he was offered a teaching position for English/Spanish/ESL at a local school, meaning no more graveyard shifts, no more cramming 32 hours of work into a weekend, no more working Christmas mornings, Sundays, birthdays, et cetera. A week from today, the coach turns 30. It's kind of a big deal, I think for me more than him (partly because this means I'll be 30 soon. meh.). From this point on the "Young Family" title becomes a bit more of a stretch, and all the juggling starts to look ridiculous.

For the past 5 years, we've become masters of the juggling. Dividing our time between jobs, coaching, school, and kids; most often with little or no help from babysitters. We know the in-and-outs of switching cars/kids while on the clock, and give up dates so that we can save those precious babysitting hours for ridiculous work schedules. Through all of this my boss has been nothing short of a hero, allowing me to get my hours in when I can. Our kids manage beautifully, but the first years of their lives have been weighted with serious inconsistency. What, you mean your kids don't go to bed at 11:00 p.m. every night? Your kids are potty trained before the age of 3 1/2? Unimaginable.

So, back to my main point. I'm quitting my job.

I'm all a-jumble with joy, and fear, and plans, and terror, and calm, and whirlwinds.


I'd really love to talk with someone else who's made this transition. I'd love to think that on August first, I will have my children up, dressed, and out for some healthful fresh air in the backyard by 8:30 am, while I sip herbal tea on the back porch. I will take them on daily adventures to the park, the library, or the mountains, all while maintaining an immaculate household. I'll have time to prepare meals, which we will eat as a family at the table, and my kids will learn to try new foods. (ignore, of course, the fact that i'll still be teaching at the gym 4 nights a week, and the Coach will still have basketball from November to February and all of June) But a girl can dream... right? I know this is going to be weird. And I'd love love love any advice you have to offer.

2 comments:

  1. I have no advice, but I think that's exciting and scary. My mom was a "stay-at-home" mom, and I really enjoyed that as a kid. Good luck with the transition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never been a working mom but i bet you will be so good at maximizing your time (at least for awhile) because you will value that you have so much of it! (i'm horrible at it. the herbal tea at 8:30 sounds so nice! i should do that!)

    ReplyDelete

Show some love