Monday, October 1, 2012

Maybe it's the Wood Paneling

I've said before how futile talking about music is. Doesn't mean I'm not going to take a stab at it anyway.

For those of you that have known me for awhile (let's say, before Elliot was born)  know that I had a little phase (little phase? Really?) where I was quite obsessed with music. Obsessed to the point that it spilled over in to condescension and judgement. This is true, I once went on a date with a pretty handsome dude, only to find out halfway through the night that his favorite musicians were Jack Johnson, John Mayer, and Dave Matthews*. We did not go out again. On the flip side, if I met someone and was to discover that they knew about Drive Thru Records, we instantly bonded. I rarely wrote a paper or studied for a college exam without music in the background. I wrote songs, I played guitar, and I performed with silly hopes of taking it to the next level. At the time I met my husband, I was averaging around two concerts a month, which was saying something since I lived in tiny Cedar City and had to drive either three hours to SLC or two and a half to Vegas far a show. And let us not forget that is was after the Hot Rod Circuit/Eisley/Brand New show that I met a certain basketball coach who became a rather important part of my life.
Photographic Evidence:
The Format's Nate and Sam (Nate is now the frontman for fun.)



Me and Andrew McMahon from Something Corporate/Jack's Mannequin

The first day we ever hung out. It was just after I played in SUU's Guitar's Unplugged.

ANYWAY

Needless to say, music was a big deal.

And then, it wasn't.

It wasn't like I started having kids and all of a sudden I stopped caring. It was a very gradual slide. Obviously the concert attendance diminished. We still tried to make it to the important ones, (Jimmy Eat World, Something Corporate, Angels and Airwaves), but it was a once a year kind of thing. I still listened to my old favorites when I got the chance, and danced with anticipation when one of the bands I loved came out with a new album. But I stopped having the time to sit for hours on the computer researching new bands, and with pregnant bellies and climbing kids, all my guitar playing pretty much stopped dead. Music in the car went from blasting The Matches at max volume to The Backyardigans soundtrack or children's audio books.

But it gets worse.

I started to regress. I started revisiting even older favorites. Having no interest or time to explore new music, I made little playlists full of the things I listened to in High School. 311, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, nothing to be ashamed of, but still. It felt weird.

Then we moved. I had been interested in K-pop for awhile thanks to my very very wonderful friend Ruth, who was always kind enough to send me YouTube links or even CDs in the mail from Korea. I had been starting to venture out on my own a little, looking things up on Spotify and buying a cheap pair of computer speakers to plug into my phone so I could have music all around the house, when I stumbled across this lovely little cover:



 Ok, so I knew my sister has showed me this song before, but it led me to check out The Civil Wars (which I knew my sister Laura was a big fan of. And since Laura is also a big k-pop fan, and likes Yellowcard, I knew I could trust her judgement), which then led me to Mumford and Sons, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, stuff I like to refer to as "cabin music". Living in Wyoming and having more than one wall of wood paneling in this silly house of mine, it seemed natural to fall in love with it. Then in the last week or so, my cabin music spiraled off into Alex Clare, Lykke Li, Phoenix, new Regina Spektor I hadn't heard before, Imagine Dragons, and Of Monsters and Men.



So like I stated before. I know how lame this all makes me sound, but it makes me feel like despite the kids and the years that have passed, I am still Pozeur, still a little bit the girl who danced in the kitchen and blasted music out of open car windows.


*For the record, I have no problem with Jack Johnson on his own, or when he's doing the soundtrack to Curious George, but in combination with the other two.. shudder.

4 comments:

  1. You know all my friends here tell me I'm a music snob because I listen to all the music you just listed ("cabin music").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, so I'm one of those old people now who reminisces of the 90's...Oh well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natali! I love love LOVE my memories of 90's music with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cool! I love those old pictures. And I love this whole post. I wish we could sit and talk about music in real life. Just reading "Hot Rod Circuit/Eisley/Brand New" was such a flashback. I tend towards the "cabin music" these days too. (I like that term!) But then like I heard 311 the other day at a store and it got me so jazzed. So I love going back to the old stuff too.

    ReplyDelete

Show some love